Thursday, June 29, 2006

 
Chena Hot Springs
Yesterday (Wednesday June 18th) I went to Chena Hot Springs, north of Fairbanks. It was a very, very nice place, especially for a tired traveler like me. I have driven the bike for more than 4,500 miles so far and I needed a little soak. The water was 120 degrees F. I had to wait until the water was 108 degrees before I could get into the pool. The coolest part was to be in the hot springs pool until midnight with the sun still shining on the horizon. While at the pool, I could see a moose drink water from a pond about 100 feet away!
Back in Fairbanks
Today Thursday I left Chena Hot Springs and I'm back in Fairbanks. I checked in this little hostel called Billy's Hostel. Incredibly, it is only $25 per night, it is safe and very clean, it has internet, and a bunch of other amenities. Even some of the food is included in the cost. Compare this price to the $199/night I had to pay in a waterfront hotel for my first night in Fairbanks. The "fancy" waterfront hotel did not have a laundry room/service, rooms were very small, noisy, and one internet terminal for the whole hotel. The hostel was a better deal!!
Because I'm not going to Prudhoe Bay, I guess I'll stay here for a couple more days enjoying a Salmon Bake or something like that :-) I'll try posting pictures of this part of the trip tonight.

Prudhoe Bay
It looks like I won't be traveling to Prudhoe Bay because it is going to rain for the next two days. Well, I guess I'll have to do that part of the trip some other time. This is a 417-mile dirt road (800 miles round trip). I'm not that experienced driving in the rain, so I'll leave that ride for some other time.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]