Wednesday, August 08, 2007

 
Visiting my aunt Laura in the Amazon
It's been at least ten years since I've visited with my aunt Laura. At 74, she is very energetic and still manages to work at her little clothing store. She's been selling clothes all her life, just like my great grandmother, my grandmother, and even my mother, at some point. The skills for selling clothes were passed from generation to generation. I still remember the words my grandmother used with her prospective customers. "Come over here my caserito (dear customer), this dress will fit your girlfriend perfectly." To the unsuspecting young guy this was like a dream, finding someone who knew what a woman likes to wear. My grandmother would put the dress right in front of him, so close as to almost trying to match his size. He would look at himself in the mirror, with the dress in front, and imagine how it will look on his wife or girlfriend. It was also about options; my grandmother would present him with all the colors of dresses, but at the end, she would say, "This is my favorite." Guys hate to decide on things like that, so she made things easier for the client. The sale was instant, to say the least. Almost 25 years later, when I went to visit with my aunt a few weeks ago, a young guy got his fiancé a dress. And my aunt used the same speech that her mother and grandmother have been using for generations, to sell a dress.
I had to return to my hometown and I had to say goodbye. Who knows if I'll see her again. I went back to the hotel were I was staying (my aunt lives in the back of her store so there was no room for me to stay at her place) I picked up my things and went back to my hometown where my brother lives. Here are a few of the pictures from that part of my trip:


Visitando a mi tía Laura en la Amazonía

Han sido por lo menos diez años desde la última vez que visite a mi tía Laura. A los 74, ella es muy energética y se arregla para trabajar en su pequeño almacén de ropa. Ella ha estado vendiendo ropa toda su vida, tal como mi bisabuela, mi abuela, e incluso mi madre, en alguna ocasión. Las habilidades para vender ropa fueron pasadas de generación en generación. Todavía recuerdo las palabras que mi abuela utilizó con sus supuestos clientes. “Viene aquí mi caserito, este vestido le cabrá a su novia perfectamente.” Para el joven incauto esto era como un sueño, encontrar a alguien que sabía lo que a una mujer le gusta vestir. Mi abuela ponía el vestido delante de él, tan cerca de su cuerpo como para comparar el tamaño. El se miraba en el espejo, con el vestido en frente, y se imaginaba cómo se miraría en su esposa o novia. También habían opciones; mi abuela le presentaría con todos los colores de vestidos, pero al final, ella diría, “éste es mi favorito.” Los hombres odian decidir en este tipo de cosas, así que lo que ella se lo facilitaba al cliente. La venta era inmediata, por no exagerar. Casi 25 años más adelante, cuando fui a visitar a mi tía hace algunas semanas, un hombre joven fue a comprar un vestido a su prometida mientras yo visitaba el almacén de mi tía. Y mi tía utilizó el mismo discurso que su madre y abuela han estado utilizando por generaciones y con mi propia cara vi como vendió ese vestido. Tuve que volver a mi ciudad natal y tuve que decir adiós. Quién sabe si la veré otra vez. Fui al hotel donde yo me hospedaba (mi tía vive en la parte posterior de su almacén y no había espacio para mi) yo tomé mis cosas y me fui de nuevo a mi ciudad natal en donde vive mi hermano. Aquí están algunos de las fotografías de esa parte de mi viaje:







































Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]